- 5kg PGI Welsh Beef brisket
- 450ml beef stock or beer
For the dry rub:
- 2 tbsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp salt
- To make the rub combine all the dry ingredients together. Brush the surface of the brisket with a little oil and then using your hands rub the dry ingredients all over the meat. Leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour – overnight would be even better.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C / 140°C fan / Gas 4.
- To cook, heat up a little oil in a large frying pan and fry the meat sealing all edges and fry until browned.
- Transfer to a roasting tin lined with foil or baking parchment, gently add stock or beer around the meat, cover and cook in oven for approximately 2 hours per 450g of meat until the meat is very tender. Or you can cook it in a slow cooker on low for approximately 8 hours.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 30 minutes before carving against the grain or shredding.
- Serve in baguettes with gherkins and fried onions.
- Serves : 5+
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cooking Time : 2hrs 10 mins
Recipe provided by Hybu Cig Cymru - Meat Promotion Wales