- 450g (1lb) Lean Welsh Beef mince
- 15ml (1tbsp) Vegetable oil
- 1 Onion, roughly chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic, crushed
- 15ml (1tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 15ml (1tbsp) Tomato ketchup
- 200ml Passata
- 400g (approx.) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 Bay leaf
- 30ml (2tbsp) Fresh mixed herbs, chopped
- 2 Medium potatoes, peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 Aubergine, thinly sliced
- 1 Small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 Courgette, sliced
- 2 Eggs
- 300ml (1/2pt) Plain yoghurt
- 100ml Milk
- 50g (2oz) Mozzarella cheese, crumbled
- 50g (2oz) Feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat your oven to Gas 4, 180˚C, 350˚F.
- Bring together the thinly sliced potatoes, aubergine and fennel in a large pan of boiling water. Cover the pan, bring back to the boil and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Now, add in the courgettes and simmer for a further minute – drain well.
- Take a pan, heat some oil and lightly cook the onion and garlic. With the onion and garlic softening, place the Welsh Beef mince into the pan and leave to cook for about 3-4 minutes – until brown all over.
- Leave the vegetables to one side, place the remaining ingredients into the pan with the Welsh Beef, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes with the lid off.
- Remember to remove the bay leaf. Take a family sized gratin dish and place a layer of mince on the bottom of the dish. Follow with a layer of sliced vegetables and repeat using all the mixture – finishing with a layer of vegetables.
- With the layering complete mix together the egg, yoghurt and milk and spoon onto the top of the mixture – smooth evenly to cover the dish.
- Finally, pour the yogurt mixture over the last layer of vegetables and sprinkle with the cheeses.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until the topping is golden and serve with a delicious seasonal mixed salad.
- Serves – 4
- Cooking Time – 50 mins
Recipe provided by Hybu Cig Cymru - Meat Promotion Wales